Highly esteemed citizens, workers and employees of Belarus,
Lawlessness reigns in the country, and citizens’ rights are grossly and cynically violated. Workers and employees must be concerned about the observance of rights and seek the restoration of law and order. At the pro-governmental rally convoked on August 16, Lukashenko stated that he would not give up Belarus. But one can’t give what he doesn’t own. The power in Belarus should and will belong to the people.
To protect the legitimate interests of the working people, we hereby suggest creating strike committees at enterprises and organizations of any ownership form. These committees must put forward, on behalf of workers, reasonable and fair demands to the authorities; and if they are ignored, to democratically decide on further actions, including a nationwide strike.
The major demands of Belarusian citizens are known, and we support them:
- All the detained protesters and all the political prisoners must be immediately and unconditionally released;
- The recent presidential election marked by widespread frauds and other violations of the law must be invalidated;
- Citizen A. Lukashenko should be removed from the post of President of the Republic of Belarus that he currently illegally occupies;
- In accordance with the Constitution of Belarus, the functions of the supreme executive power should be temporarily transferred to the Government. The Government must promptly set the date for a new presidential election and an early election for the House of Representatives. The elections should be held under new compositions of all election commissions, in full compliance with the rule of law and under control of the public and foreign observers;
- The Government should immediately begin fully authorized and open negotiations with representatives of the Belarusian society – labour collectives, independent trade unions, political parties and public organizations headed by Svetlana Tikhanovskaya on the further functioning of the legitimate power in Belarus. We must not admit any lawlessness and destabilization in the country.
People of labour, come and seek help and advice from independent trade unions, quit the pro-governmental trade unions and create your own trade union organizations!
We can save our country for ourselves and our children only by acting in solidarity!
Members of the Presidium of the independent REP Trade Union,
August 16, 2020